Copyright © 2007 - 2023 Louisiana Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health (LAFFCMH). All rights reserved.
Children and adolescents with emotional, behavioral and mental disorders may exhibit distorted thinking, excessive anxiety, bizarre motor acts, and abnormal mood swings. Children who do not have disorders may display some of these behaviors at different points in their development. The difference is that for children who have a serious disorder these behaviors continue over a long period of time demonstrating an inability to cope with their environment or peers.
* 20% of school-age students experience serious mental health problems.
* Nationally, one in five children have a mental, emotional or behavioral disorder.
* One in four families in Louisiana will need mental health services. 110,000 kids in Louisiana have been identified as needing mental health services.
* Only 7% of those kids are getting help. Children who have serious emotional, behavioral and mental disorders are individuals and have rights and strengths that should be respected by all.
* A child's family is the most important resource for that child.
* The family must be seen as partners with the professional staff in the treatment of the child and not as part of the problem. Families who are nurtured, supported, and empowered are better able to meet the needs of their child.
|Board of directors|
|Mirtazapine (Remeron) tablets|
|About children who need help|
|Children mental health facts|
|A dream for louisiana children|